Drew’s unique schedule is carefully designed to maximize your learning while making plenty of space for community time, advisory, athletics, experiential pursuits, and more.
An overwhelming amount of research has emerged that decisively shows how more sleep in the morning benefits teenage health and performance in school. That’s why at Drew, the school day begins at 9:15 a.m. twice a week: so that you can approach the school day better rested.
At Drew, you’ll be enrolled in six classes each semester with one class period free as a prep period. Drew students like to use that prep period to stay on top of their schoolwork, socialize, or meet with teachers.
- You attend each of your classes on Monday to check in and set the tone for the week.
- Tuesday through Friday you have 80-minute block period classes, allowing you to delve more deeply into the subject matter.
- Late start times on Tuesday and Thursday allow you to sleep in or use the morning to study.
- During Community Time, you’ll attend all-school assemblies, advising, or other community building activities.
- Experiential Electives: regularly scheduled explorations within Drew’s academic schedule. You will take three Experiential Electives each school year.
- Social-Emotional Learning Block: Engage in a variety of activities based on your grade level. The curriculum includes service learning, health and wellness, college counseling seminars, and senior project preparation. Additionally, Thursday afternoons include Tutorial, a structured time to work independently, in small groups, or with a teacher directly.
- You are allowed off campus during lunch to explore and take advantage of Drew’s Pacific Heights location.